According to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, nearly 70% of American adults aged 35 to 44 are missing one or more teeth. If you are one of these millions of Americans, chances are you have already chosen a restorative dental solution, such as dentures or a bridge, to rebuild your smile. However, dental implants in Bergenfield offer a range of benefits that can boost your quality of life compared to other tooth replacement options. If you are tired of your dentures slipping or want to regain the ability to eat all your favorite foods, keep reading below.
3 Common Tooth Replacement Options
First, let’s briefly review 3 of the most common tooth replacement options available today:
- Dentures – Artificial teeth and gums; typically made from a hard resin and custom designed to fit your mouth.
- Dental bridge – Utilized to “bridge” the gap between one to three consecutive missing teeth. Custom-made crowns that are held in place by attaching to adjacent natural teeth.
- Dental implant – A small titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jawbone to support a replacement tooth. The titanium implant fuses with the natural bone through a process called osseointegration to mimic the natural tooth root structure.
5 Advantages of Dental Implants
If you already utilize dentures or bridges in place of missing teeth, you may want to consider upgrading to dental implants. Compared to other tooth replacement options, dental implants offer a range of advantages that can boost your daily quality of life, such as:
- #1: Natural Feel – Because the post of a dental implant mimics the natural tooth root structure, dental implants feel more like natural teeth compared to bridges or dentures.
- #2: No Slippage – While dentures can sometimes slip when eating or speaking, the sturdy base of a dental implant means your replacement teeth with never shift in your mouth.
- #3: Chewing Power – Dental implants provide nearly the same chewing power as natural teeth, enabling you to enjoy all your favorite foods worry-free.
- #4: Aesthetically Appealing – Dental implants are custom-designed to blend in seamlessly with your natural smile.
- #5: Long-Lasting – With proper care, dental implants can last anywhere between 25 years to a lifetime! Dentures, on the other hand, typically must be replaced every 5 to 10 years, while bridges typically last between 5 to 15 years.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
With a high success rate of approximately 98%, dental implants are an excellent tooth replacement solution for many men and women. You are likely a good candidate for dental implants if you are missing one or more teeth and the following are true:
- You brush and floss your teeth every day
- You have healthy gums
- You have adequate jawbone depth
Ultimately, the best tooth replacement option will depend on your unique smile and personal preferences, and your decision should be made in consultation with a dentist in Bergenfield.
If you are ready to smile, talk and eat with extreme confidence again, consider choosing dental implants to fill the gaps in your teeth.
About the Author
Dr. Mariliza LaCap has over 19 years of experience helping patients achieve and maintain healthy smiles. A proud graduate of the Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery, she has also received advanced training in dental implants. Patients interested in improving their quality of life with dental implants can visit the Washington Dental Associates website or call 201-453-4863 to learn more.